Help us educate, inspire, and connect people through family history
To advance the study of family history in America and beyond, American Ancestors and the New England Historic Genealogical Society educates, inspires, and connects people through our scholarship, collections, and expertise. We are supported by 100 employees and hundreds of dedicated volunteers, serving more than 250,000 members. Our jobs span a broad range of careers, from entry-level to professional, including genealogical research, publishing, library science, curatorial, internet technology, finance, information systems, development, sales, education, and member services.
For immediate consideration to any of our open staff positions, please e-mail your resume and cover letter to:
Michelle Major, Director of Human Resources firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no open positions at this time. Please check out our Volunteer page for other opportunities to help advance the study of family history.
Member Services Associate
American Ancestors and New England Historic Genealogical Society is seeking a Member Services Associate to join our team. The full-time Member Services Associate fills a key role on our Member Services team, supporting our organizational mission to advance the understanding of family history in America and beyond. The Member Services team supports the work of the entire organization by communicating with customers and resolving questions and issues related to membership, the bookstore, research-for-hire, events, educational programming, and use of AmericanAncestors.org and the AncesTREES family tree program. The hours of this full-time position are Tuesday through Saturday from 9:00–5:00.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Provide customer service support to NEHGS members by phone, email, and in-person interactions.
- Process customer transactions for new and renewing memberships, book sales, research-for hire, events, and educational programming.
- Ensure the accuracy of member database (Tessitura), e-commerce software (Shopify), email marketing software (Hubspot), and event registration software (GoToTraining) by updating constituent contact information, entering payments, applying appropriate notes and attributes to member accounts, and pulling reports.
- Perform initial troubleshooting steps to assist with technical questions and issues relating to AmericanAncestors.org and the AncesTREES family tree program.
- Effectively communicate knowledge of NEHGS resources, services, events, and mission.
- Support Visitor Services, the front-facing first point of contact for all members and visitors to our library headquarters, by covering the front desk during breaks. This includes handling bookstore sales, signing in visitors, and orienting visitors to the library.
- Bring a solution-driven approach to customer service and daily tasks, by identifying possible ways to improve website usability, database functionality, and office processes and procedures.
- Participate in occasional NEHGS Education and Advancement events as needed.
- Additional responsibilities as needed.
- Experience in customer service and enthusiasm for helping people
- Ability to communicate with all levels of staff in a professional environment
- Ability to work in a team as well as accomplish projects independently
- Ability to learn new technology
- High level of organizational skills and attention to detail
- Desire to contribute to a team with the potential to take on increased responsibilities
- Microsoft Office and Windows computer proficiency
- Excellent customer service skills, in person and by phone
- Familiarity with CRM database software (ex. Tessitura), data entry software is a plus
- Familiarity with Hubspot and Shopify
- Experience upselling
American Ancestors offers a comprehensive benefits package including Health, dental, 403 (b), Employee assistance program, discounts on merchandise, family membership and much more.
How To Apply
Please submit cover letter and resume to Michelle Major, Director of Human Resources at email@example.com. Please include your last name in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please.
Apply by March 1, 2021
American Ancestors and New England Historic Genealogical Society (NEHGS), America’s founding genealogical organization and the most respected name in family history, is seeking a full time Genealogical Researcher. Due to an increasing demand for quality genealogical research, NEHGS is looking for a full-time Researcher, who will be responsible for conducting research for the NEHGS Research Services Department. The ideal candidate should have a thorough knowledge of genealogical skills, techniques, and sources; and be able to efficiently conduct research in the time allotted by clients.
This is an on-site, full-time, benefits eligible position. Note: during the COVID-19 pandemic, the position location is a combination of on-site and remote working environments. The normal work schedule is Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Bachelor’s degree in a history related field
- Genealogical training
- General computer skills including internet, e-mail, and word processing
- 3-4 years of professional genealogical experience
- Ability to analyze documents and compile detailed narrative research reports
Benefits for full-time staff include: generous pooled time off (PTO), 13 holidays, medical, dental, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, retirement plan, health care/dependent care flex spending plan, employee discounts, employee assistance program, tuition reimbursement program, professional development, direct deposit, free admission to cultural institutions, Family membership, and much more.
How To Apply
Email resume, cover letter, and a written sample of genealogical research to:
Director of Human Resources
No phone calls please. Only candidates who submit all required materials will be considered.